Sunday, July 11, 2010

When Pigs Fly...

A couple of weeks ago, Beth and I took a trip to Portland, Maine. It is a great little city. Clean, easy to get around, plenty to do. I highly recommend checking it out*. Being esteemed members of the Holiday Inn Priority Club (jealous?) we received a complementary upgrade to a sixth floor room with a bay view. It was beautiful. The entire harbor was right outside our window. So, too, were countless playful seagulls.

Being an early riser, I would have about an hour to myself every morning before Beth would begin to stir. It often happens, that when I go on vacation, I get an overwhelming urge to draw. Subsequently that urge is quashed by all the excitement that is being on vacation. Portland being a sleepy town in the morning, and my fiance being a sleepy person in general, I was ready to draw. I sat myself at the desk, took out my pad of paper, grabbed the Holiday Inn ballpoint, and gazed earnestly out the windows. It was beautiful. The sun had just come up. There was a milky haze over the city. The waterfront was devoid of tourists. A couple of skiffs made there way out to their lobster traps. A stunningly quiet moment that had to be captured. I took a deep breath, summoning the courage it takes to first mark the pristine white page, and I drew...









...pigs.

I don't know where the idea came from**. Maybe I just wanted to draw a pig (it's happened before). I started playing with the expression, "When pigs fly," and thought it might be fun to put a little different spin on it. Make sure you click on the images to zoom in and catch the punchlines.

I should have written this post about the joys of drawing with ballpoint pen, but I'll save that one for later.

*I have no affiliation with the Maine Board of Tourism.

**I really just wanted to draw pigs.

4 comments:

  1. LOL. that mother with the baby on board is really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks...definitely one of my favorite moments in the illo...the acceptance of the hell that is airport lines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "when pigs fly... bird poop doesn't seem so bad anymore."

    ReplyDelete