Friday, July 2, 2010

Ride 'm COW-BOY

"He wandered out of the dust of the Mojave with nothing but the clothes on his back. He wasn't too pretty, and he wasn't much of a talker...But that cow-boy sure could ride."

This illustration was created as a t-shirt design for Threadless T's. For those who don't know, Threadless has open submissions for T designs, printing new designs every week. Cool stuff. Check them out.

This design began about 2
years ago in this rather grotesque drawing. Sadly, this was my attempt at a sexy illustration (also conceived as a t-shirt). I often enjoy looking back at old work, but this is the type of thing that makes me want to introduce my head to the oven. Do I really have such trashiness in me? No way! I couldn't possibly! I was raised better than that! OOPS! Jersey Shore is on! Be back later...

...30 minutes later

Even a clear defeat of a drawing such as this is not without its little victories. I think that the horse has a lot of energy and I really love the scratchboard look of the piece. It gives a sense of age, looking a bit like an old block print. All I need to do is erase the young lady with unlikely proportions from my drawing, and I might be on to something.

Here we are, two years later, and out of the ether comes a play on the word cowboy and a bit of a send up of rodeos (and my affection for western cinema).

Thank you photoshop. Goodbye Pam Anderson. Hello Cow-Boy.

***If you like this design, please go to Threadless and give it a high score and leave a few friendly words. You do need to have an account, but it is free and only takes a few seconds to make one. Thanks a million!*** Just click the link below!
Ride 'm COW-BOY - Threadless, Best T-shirts Ever
Just click the link above!

No comments:

Post a Comment